As if I needed an excuse to enjoy a good cocktail, the start of the Winter Olympics this Friday inspired me to mix up a few celebratory drinks.
Sochi Sugared Champagne
Ingredients10 tbs caster sugar5 sugar cubes1 lemon1 bottle ChampagneGel food coloring (blue, yellow, black, green, red)Angostura Bitters5 Champagne flutesRecipe1. Place 2 tbs. of caster sugar into five separate bowls. Using a different color for each bowl, add several drops of color and mix until you reach the desired tone.
2. Cut lemon into small wedges. Take one wedge and coat the rim of each champagne glass with lemon juice, then dip into colored sugar bowls. Place sugar rimmed glasses into the freezer for 10 minutes.
3. Soak sugar cubes with Angostura bitters, drop one into each chilled flute, add champagne until the bubbles come up just below the sugared rim. Once the bubbles decrease, add a little more champagne.
Perfect White Russian
Ingredients1.5 oz vodka 1 oz Kahlua (or your preferred coffee liqueur)1 oz heavy cream1 cinnamon stick (optional)2-3 large ice cubes
Recipe 1. Place ice cubes in a lowball glass. Add vodka, Kahlua and heavy cream.
2. Stir with cinnamon stick to add a little flavor (or a spoon to keep it traditional). Leave cinnamon stick in as a garnish.
Gold Medal Martini
1.5 oz Old Tom Gin0.5 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth2-3 large ice cubesEdible gold stars
1. Place ice, gin and vermouth in a mix glass. Add ice and stir 40 times to get very chilled.
2. Strain into a martini glass and add gold stars as a garnish.