With Emily and Geoffrey in Hawaii this week, we thought it would be fun to take this regularly scheduled Weekday Wardrobe to share some of the items in our carts right now—from the obvious (summer dresses) to the edible (waffle bowls) to the totally random (sushi card games?). Turns out you can learn an awful lot about a person from their cart... here are ours:
1. OneStory Blush Earrings: I've been obsessed with these earrings since the moment we launched them in our Shop. I love how the blush pink and brass arc instantly dresses up a white tank and jeans—and the fact that each pair is made by hand, by a woman-run company! The only reason they're in my cart is because I've been borrowing (and slowly adopting) the sample pair we have in our office. It's probably time to purchase my own...
2. Rebecca Taylor Cosmic Off-Shoulder Dress (also available here): I've had this dress in my cart for ages, stalking the price, and crossing my fingers that it'll dip below $100 before it sells out (the ecommerce version of playing "chicken"). I love the smocked bodice and exaggerated puffy sleeves that would be perfect for any summer weekend outing. Ever since seeing it styled on by @helloitsloh (whose Instagram I discovered from the fantastic job she does styling C&C items!), I've been that much closer to hitting 'Check Out.'
3. Goop Phys. Ed. Bath Soak and Lord Jones CBD Body Lotion: During last week's cattle drive, I was introduced to my inner thigh muscles, as well as other aching muscles I didn't even know existed before spending a week on a horse. I'm considering buying this combo to help ease the pain while I get back into my regular workout routine.
4. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah: This has been on my list to buy for months, ever since Emily recommended it in her "What I'm Reading" Instagram highlights. I'm this close to finishing a few other books, and as soon as I do, I'm diving into this tale about a family in Alaska.
5. CB2 'Noelie Rattan' Chairs: I'm in the process of slowly phasing out my hand-me-down couch with a new living room setup, with Marilynn's help and keen eye for design (her career previous to C&C!). While I haven't purchased anything yet, this chair is at the top of my list. I love its light rattan design (which is a perfect tie-in to the rattan chair in my breakfast nook), and how comfortable it looks, without compromising design.
6. Sushi Go Card Game: Earlier this week, a friend mentioned the fast-paced card game she's become obsessed with. I immediately added it to my Amazon cart for when I get tired of my current favorite two-player game.
1. Topshop One-Piece Suit: Ever since I had a baby girl and left the world of architecture, my style has gone from minimalist and structured to much more prone to frills and floral. This bathing suit reminds me of Kaia's onesies, but since I can't walk around in pants-leg-less outfits, I'll be mimicking her style at the beach.
2. Byredo Perfume in 'Oud Immortel': I've used Le Labo 'Santal' for the past two years and was ready for a new but similar scent, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Asking me to describe perfumes is similar to asking me to describe wine: 'Um, it smells good?' If I had to be specific, I'd say it reminds me of someone lighting incense in the middle of a freshly rained upon forest floor. (See? I really shouldn't be asked to describe perfumes.)
3. How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan: After listening to an interview with Pollan that was recommended on Leslie's List, I am very intrigued by the potential of hallucinogenics as a medical or behavioral treatment. I'd also read anything by Pollan—his writing is that engaging and informative.
4. YUNI Shower Sheets: As someone who is chronically guilty of over-scheduling, and often takes a workout class without any time to shower afterwards, I'm planning on purchasing these shower sheets to feel somewhat presentable.
5. HAY Grinder: Speaking of minimalist (see above), I love Scandinavian home goods and furniture and HAY is one of my favorite brands for both. Since I've somehow lived this long without a stylish pepper grinder, I look forward to setting these on our table for a nice pop of color.
6. Rainbow Beach Bag: This bag is lightweight and foldable, so I'm planning on keeping it, not just for the beach, but in the bottom of my everyday tote to whip out at the store (since I always manage to forget my reusable bags every time I do groceries).
1. Tretorn Nylite Sneakers: I love the look of white sneakers with just about anything, and I like that the green details on this pair add a twist to the classic style. I envision wearing these with breezy summer dresses for a cool, comfortable alternative to sandals.
2. Tory Burch Bikini (Top and Bottom): This bikini feels so quintessentially 'summer' to me. I don't currently own anything gingham, and this set would be a great way to incorporate the pattern into my closet.
3. GLOW RECIPE Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask: I've been kind of skincare-obsessed lately, and I've heard amazing things about this line. Also, I'm a sucker for cute branding and packaging, and this product is a home run on both accounts.
4. Canadianity: Tales from the True North Strong and Freezing by Jeremy Taggart and Jonathan Torrens: It is not lost on me, as a Canadian, how niche this book recommendation is. That said, I picked this book up at a friend's house, and found myself so immediately engrossed in it, I had to put it down and add one to my own cart immediately. Written by the hosts of my favorite podcast, this book promises to be a hilarious, endearing read, full of stories from each of Canada's provinces. As someone living far from home, this book will be a nice way to feel connected to my favorite place, and serves as a reminder of how proud I am to be Canadian. [Ed note: We can always tell when Hannah's listening to this podcast while she's designing a graphic because she spends the entire time giggling to herself!]
5. Umbra Oversized Hub Mirror: This mirror has been in my cart ever since I moved into a new apartment in January. The only reason I've resisted purchasing it is that a decorative mirror isn't exactly essential to my daily life, but I know my living room will look so much better once this is hanging in it!
6. Surfboard: This is definitely more of a wish list item than a likely future purchase, but I have been dying to start surfing ever since moving to L.A.. I know that either renting a board or signing up for lessons is a much more cost effective option, but there is something so romantic to me about having my own board. Side note: If anyone has a surf group or school they recommend, I would love to know!
1. Pixie Mood Backpack: Even though my school days recently ended when I graduated from Chapman in May, I still find myself using backpacks. I love this one because I can easily slip my computer in it without appearing too clunky and dress it up by tying a silk scarf on the handle.
2. Free People Midi Dress: I would love to wear this dress on a quaint side street in Europe but for the time being, I'll wear this out on a sunny day in LA. A maxi-dress stripe combo is both flattering and casual.
3. Byredo Burning Rose Candle: I discovered this candle on a recent trip to the new Glossier store in LA and immediately added it to my shopping cart. The Rose scent is strong without being overwhelmingly sweet.
4. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald: I'm a sucker for classic and romance novels—here is a combination of the two! Reading a book set in the South of France is almost as good as going there myself. Almost.
5. Milk Makeup Holographic Stick: I like to keep my makeup simple in the summer so I am very intrigued by this blush/highlighter combo. The stick also comes in a mini-version which can easily be thrown into a purse for an on-the-go touch up.
6. Mini Waffle Bowl Maker: A wonderful excuse to not do the dishes—eat them instead! Fresh fruit is one of my favorite summer snacks and this waffle bowl maker would easily elevate my snack to a dessert.