December 9th, 2012
When Emily asked me to create a gift guide for men, I thought it would take about 5 minutes, since that’s pretty much how long it takes me to shop. However, the process was a little more challenging than I expected. I decided to focus on three main categories: home, style, and tech; while also providing an array of items at different price points. I personally own or have used most of these items and feel any guy would be lucky to receive them. Happy Holidays!
1. Handsome Coffee: $17-$22 – L.A. based coffee roasters, providing a great selection of delicious varietals.
2. Whistle Pig Rye: $65 – 10-year-old, 100% Rye from Vermont. You’ll want to drink this straight.
3. Global 3-Piece Knife Set: $235 – A favorite among professional chefs, this set provides you with the essential blades.
4. The Art of Fixing Things: $11 – Over 150 tips on everything from home repair to car maintenance.
5. Monogrammed Linen Cocktail Napkins: $29 – Adds a personal and stylish touch to ordinary cocktail napkins.
6. Woodsnap Photo Prints: $40 (plus) – Create a unique canvas for your photos. Also works with Instagram.
7. Tovolo Ice Sphere (set of 2): $12 – Melts slowly and evenly, so your drinks don’t get watered down. Plus it simply looks cool.
8. AeroPress Coffee Maker (w/filters): $29 – Hand pressed coffee maker, creates a less acidic and more concentrated flavor.
1. Malin+Goetz Essentials Kit: $30 – This is the perfect travel set and is far superior to most hotel supplied toiletries.
2. Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shaving Brush: $48 – A traditional brush brings a level of comfort and sophistication to an everyday shave.
3. Charcoal Cardigan from Pendleton: $108 – Warm, Shetland wool from a classic American mill.
4. Warby Parker “Griffin” sunglasses (in blonde tortoise): $95 – Sleek but simple design, and they will create a prescription pair for $150.
5. Raleigh Denim Original Raw Thin Fit: $285 – These are expensive, but based on how they age and fit, your guy will get more use out these than most premium denim.
6. Timex 1600: $195 – Handsome and affordable, this piece can be worn casually or dressed up.
7. Billykirk No. 166 Large Carryall: $350 – Great weekend bag, with classic canvas and leather details.
8. MacAlister Brickman Leather Boot: $168 – Every guy needs a great pair of boots and these are versatile enough to be worn with jeans or a suit.
9. Geo F. Trumper Shaving Creams: $30 – A huge upgrade from Edge Gel, these creams last longer and provide a smoother shaving experience.
1. OlloClip Lens: $70 – A 3-in-1 accessory, giving your iPhone camera the ability to shoot wide and macro images.
2. Sonos Play 3: $299 – One of the best sounding and streamlined wireless music systems on the market.
3. Yurbuds: $50 – I’ve tried quite a few running headphones and nothing has worked as well as these attachements. They will fit on any standard ear buds.
4. Apple TV : $99 – A great option for people who don’t want a cable subscription, plus you can stream all media (photos, music, etc.) from your computer through your TV and home stereo.
5. Evernote Moleskin Smart Notebook: $25 – Digitize handwritten notes and index them in Evernote, making all of your ideas and thoughts searchable.
6. Lytro Camera: $399 – A different kind of camera, that captures the entire light field and lets you focus and refocus the finished photo as often as you like, creating “living pictures.”