1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced – I used Fuji apples
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch round springform pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then add the yogurt, and stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
5. Arrange the apple slices evenly over the mixture in a circular pattern, starting in the center. In a small bowl add the sugar and cinnamon, mix together. Sprinkle the apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Melt the butter and drizzle over the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Leave in the pan for 5 minutes to cool, pop open the springform pan, cut and enjoy.