December 23rd, 2010
For the first time in 27 years, I won’t be going home for Christmas. Instead, my family is coming to L.A. where my fiancé and I will be hosting everybody at our new place. Initially I was reluctant about the idea; nervous that things wouldn’t be quite as special. To my surprise, I’ve really enjoyed getting everything ready and I love that we’re starting our own traditions. I wanted the table to feel festive, whimsical and rustic and went with white, gold and black. With just a few unique touches (like sparkly tulle layered over burlap and black feathers tucked inside the napkins), it has the comfort of home, but with our own twist.
December 22nd, 2010
For someone who eats marshmallows as regularly as I do, I’m not sure how I managed to go so long without making them from scratch. It’s safe to assume that most things are improved drastically when made at home (examples 1, 2 and 3), but I didn’t realize how you could improve on something already so perfect. Turns out, you can; especially when you add a little peppermint and some food coloring. I used this recipe and they came out light and fluffy and are the perfect complement to my daily mug of hot chocolate.
December 21st, 2010
The week leading up to Christmas is always inevitably crazy, despite how many times I insist that it’s going to be spent watching holiday films and baking cookies. If you still haven’t finished up all of your shopping, I put together one last gift guide (you can see my first two here and here) that has something for everyone at a variety of price points. I’m particularly drawn to this nail polish that looks like the sidewalk after it’s rained and these sweet ballet flats (I bought a pair last week) that are as comfortable as they are classic.
1. Topshop Silver Plain Velvet Turban $32
2. Old Navy Large-Beaded Chain Necklace $8.99
3. Z Gallerie Los Angeles Scene $89.95
4. Crate and Barrel Cafe Mug $3.95
5. Deborah Lippmann Wicked Game Nail Polish $16
6. Gap The City Flat $32.99
7. Pier 1 Honeycomb Mirror $249.95
8. Illesteva Frieda Sunglasses $185
9. Kate Spade Twirl Larabee Dot Fete Mini Saucers $75
10. Forever 21 Jeweled Party Earrings $10.80
11. Jonathan Adler Pipe Match Strike $42
12. Modcloth Tasty Trio Tiffin Box in Square $39.99
13. Dannijo Cheyenne 10-karat Gold-plated Ring $170
14. Anya Hindmarch Lips and Eyes Canvas Cosmetics Case $90
15. Forever 21 Warm Slipper Socks $10.80
16. Nars New Cruising Lipstick $24
17. Modcloth Raindrops Keep Falling $29.99
December 20th, 2010
Topshop Top, UO Skirt, Luv AJ Handpiece, Christian Louboutin Heels
I spent the majority of the weekend in sweats, since the rain was so relentless that I barely left the house. Instead of going out for our normal Saturday night date, we ordered in and I figured a change of clothes would do me good. I threw on this new skirt that’s part-sparkly-tutu-meets-spunky-librarian and even though we never stepped outside, it was a good change of pace. Every once in a while I like when the weather forces me to stay indoors, burn candles in lieu of lights, read stacks of magazines and eat soup at every meal.