December 24th, 2008
Today we got up before dawn and piled all of our luggage, snacks, blankets and gifts into the car and headed North. Since I’m pretty bad at sitting still for long periods of time, I thought I’d follow Kristin‘s lead and write down 100 25 (sorry, technical error erased the other 75 after Christmas) things about me to help pass the time.
25 Things About Me:
1. When I was four, I bit my best friend’s finger after we couldn’t come to a conclusion about the color of the ocean. I was sent home briefly thereafter.
2. I’m an only child [see number 1].
3. Breakfast is my favorite meal (especially if there’s lots of syrup involved).
4. I get grossed out when people drink milk with their dinner.
5. I was born on my exact due date. I’m still prompt to this day.
6. When I turned 18, I secretly got my belly button pierced. I told my parents later that afternoon.
7. I love the process of making a mix CD for someone. I always start out with an upbeat, fantastic song.
8. I had to wear a retainer in 2nd grade that gave me a lisp and landed me in speech therapy.
9. I could eat sushi every. single. day.
10. I’m not afraid of the dark, but absolutely every closet or drawer must be completely closed before I can fall asleep.
11. I get overly excited when peppermint ice cream arrives for the holidays.
12. One time when I was little, I pretended to choke just to see if my mom really knew the Heimlich Maneuver. Turns out, she did. I spent the rest of the night locked in my room.
13. I have the worst eye for spotting toupees.
14. New Year’s Eve is my least favorite holiday. This year though, I can’t wait to stay in with my boyfriend and make this and drink lots of this.
15. Wheat Thins are the best when they’re slightly burnt.
16. I was a total tomboy as a child. Now you’ll have a hard time finding me in something other than a dress or a skirt.
17. I don’t like the taste of water.
18. “Happiness is a Warm Gun” is my favorite Beatles song.
19. I hate when people answer a question by saying, ‘well, yes and no.’ Just pick one.
20. My first day out of college, I landed a job working for my two favorite magazines: Domino and Teen Vogue (I was on the first season of The Hills).
21. I love making lists. At times, I’ll even add something I’ve already done just so I can cross it off.
22. I think I have a learning disability when it comes to my sense of direction.
23. Rain is great, but only when I can be inside with no plans to leave.
24. Some of my pet peeves include whistling, gum smacking and bad grammar.
25. When I was little, I trimmed my cat’s whiskers. She wobbled when she walked for a good two weeks.
Sorry that the rest of the list was cut off…I swear the last 75 were the best ones! Thank you for all of your endless support and here’s to a spectacular 2009.
December 23rd, 2008
As most of my loyal readers can attest, I’m all about finding the most affordable and practical options when shopping for myself, except when it comes to bags and wallets. Since durability is key, I like to invest in well constructed leather pieces that will also look chic and classic. Since my Hobo wallet is on its way out, here are some promising replacements that are top on my list.
Marni – The mustard yellow leather paired with an ultra sleek buckle could totally double as a clutch at night.
Marc Jacobs – If I decide to go for a sturdy wallet in a classic shape, this little Marc Jacobs number will be the one.
YSL – The ivory color is a nice departure from my sea of brown and black wallets with its trademark lock and preppy flap.
Miu Miu – Last year, I was obsessed with the bag version of this wallet, but think the miniature size will add some nice texture to my purse.
Louis Vuitton – The pebbled leather and added zipper with studs adds a bit of edge to this anonymous Louis Vuitton.
Marc Jacobs – This shade of petal pink is probably one of my favorites and in this quilted pattern, it’s almost too cute to resist.
What do you think, my lovely readers? Do you have a favorite?
December 22nd, 2008
Banana Republic Scarf, Urban Outfitters Shirt, Forever 21 Skirt and Ring, Miss Sixty Pumps, Vintage Clutch and Bracelet
Every once in a while, I’ll come across a piece that is so undeniably feminine that it makes my heart skip a beat. Yesterday, while hurriedly running around the mall, I ducked into Forever 21 and saw this scalloped lace skirt that I simply had to have. Before I finished my Christmas shopping, I made a quick pit stop at home, just so I could wear it out with a v-neck and bright cashmere scarf for a casual daytime look.
December 19th, 2008
There are certain colors that make everyone look good and I’m a firm believer that eggplant is one of them. It’s not as feminine as purple, but offers a moodier vibe than plain black, which is why I rounded up six pieces that I simply need to own.
1. French Connection, Wizard Wonder Dress: $218 $149.99. The asymmetrical top on this pleated tube dress would be perfectly accented with a thin, metallic belt.
2. TopShop, Boudoir Frill Padded Bra: $28. This is such a sweet little bra with its lace and bow in a deep aubergine hue.
3. Nine West, Jazid: $119 $99. Paired with some patterned tights, these would make such a bold statement.
4. Intermix, Buckle Beret:$125 $89. The leather buckles add an almost equestrian feel to this adorable hat.
5. dELiAs, Trishell Skirt: $38.50. The color alone on this swingy skirt had me sold, but it’s the studded waistline that really sets it apart.
6. Charlotte Russe, Chiffon Ruffle Top, $21.99. The gray contrast trim is such an unexpected touch to this blouse that I would tuck into some high waisted jeans.